Friday, May 3, 2013

Why Should I hire an Interior Designer?

Claudia Simoes
Scott Shuptrine Interior Designer – Royal Oak Gallery
I had no idea how to start this first blog…what should I write about? Then, after a while it came to me that just writing about my job would be a good start…and it would also help people who still don't understand how it works or may feel uneasy contacting an Interior Designer.

Being a Designer is a fun job! It's very exciting to meet a new client and start building a relationship that is all about trust. Understanding the person's needs and desires, and being able to truly translate that into an actual room plan that becomes a lived in space... that's the challenge.

A professional designer will plan the room and coordinate the right pieces of furniture, creating balance in scale, color and materials. We all have different lifestyles: some people entertain a lot, others have kids and/or pets…first home, vacation home… so everyone will need different plans, pieces and materials. Durable fabrics that are kid proof…maybe leather, or even silk, for the more formal, dressy chair and pillows. Will they choose a fabric ottoman versus glass-top cocktail table? What will be the best color for the walls in a room with fewer windows…or where is the best place for grandma's old china cabinet, old pictures, or just some place for the souvenirs from the last trip? Whatever is important to keep, we will work around it.  Let’s rearrange the pieces - add new ones…refresh the space.

A designer will select exactly what you need in your budget…window treatment, wall covering, floor covering…the best carpet for that high traffic area, the perfect rug for your foyer, along with the art and all the accessories that will make that room look exactly like the room you dreamed of. Sometimes just a beautiful wallpaper and a big mirror will transform that forgotten area.

There's never an interior design project that's too small. At the end it's all about keeping the owner's identity alive… and in the end that's what matters.

By Claudia Simoes
Interior Designer
Woodward SSI

1 comment:

  1. I never thought I would hire an interior designer until I upgraded to a larger house. My interior designer wound up showing me patterns I would have never considered that worked perfectly, and showed me Bali window coverings, which I now use exclusively. I think the best part in having an interior designer is their knowledge in color pairing, but also knowing which products and brands will work the best for your unique situation.

    ReplyDelete